Sunday, July 26, 2015

Aapse milkar kushi huii Bhārat. Phir milenge.


As I am sitting at the program center waiting for my dreaded flight home, I have found myself reflecting on the past six weeks. This has been one of the most beneficial learning experiences thus far in my life. Yes, I was studying India’s medical field and I learned a lot of different things via lectures and excursions. But more importantly I learned numerous life lessons. I have learned so many new things in a mere six weeks.

I developed new perspectives on cleanliness and privacy. When I first came to India I had found myself very bothered by what appeared to be a lack of privacy standards and hygiene, especially in hospital settings. I got through this discomfort by reminding myself that I was in a different country and while the standards may be astonishingly different, that doesn’t make them wrong. Later on in the journey I was able to make reflections on how my perceptions changed. I felt that the reason the standards differed so much was due to different cultural needs. In America we love to over sanitize things. Antibiotics are radically prescribed as allopathic medicine is the norm. This is our culture. We expect a certain representation of glossy floors, fresh sheets, paper covers, closed toe shoes, gloves, and white coats when at a doctor’s office. In India, it is a different story. Some medical buildings have open hallways and it is not uncommon to see lizards and cockroaches. Sandals are not uncommon and attire ranges from traditional Indian wear to business casual. Different procedures are used as well like leech therapy. Sanitation isn’t as much of a concern here because the people of this culture have developed an immune system strong enough to deal with what they have. When it comes to privacy, America does everything they can to keep patients identity confidential. Patients are given separate rooms with one on one doctor service. Informed consent forms are a must in order for a student to observe treatments. In India it appears that privacy doesn’t matter. Forms were not signed when our group was to observe a treatment. Multiple patients may be in a single exam room to see a doctor. Closed doors were not common. At first this appalled me, but after experiencing the culture, I now understand why. The people of India have an overlying sense of privacy. People are not nosy nor is it common to hear gossip. In short: the people of this culture know how to mind their own business. That is a short coming of Americans. We become too wrapped up in what everybody else has that we can’t focus on our own needs. The privacy standards in America are needed so that treatment can be effective.

In regards to medicine, my views have not changed. I have never been a fan of allopathic medicine. I feel that the culture we live in is much too willing to over medicate rather than fix the root of the problem. Alternative medicine is something I find fascinating. When you look to nature you realize that you already have everything you need to sustain a happy and healthy life. It is important, however, to not only be educated about the various plants and herbs, but to understand the correct ways to implement them. I am not an expert; actually I am the farthest thing from it. I have an interest and desire to learn more and further my understanding. What I do know is that I have been a victim of over medicating. I have been prescribed things that were never needed and I have had doctors prescribe medications that should never be combined. This has made me very particular about the chemicals I ingest and with any prescription I research what should not be combined before agreeing to take it.

I learned a lot about social interactions. Being an introvert, group settings are not my forte . . . especially in a foreign country. The way I function in social situations is quite complicated. In order for me to interact with the people, I first need to become comfortable and aware of my surroundings. It typically isn’t an issue, but when you are traveling every few days in a foreign country with a group of strangers—then you only have a couple of choices. The first choice is to isolate yourself, work on the school material only, and not leave the vicinity of your comfort zone. The second choice is to buck it up, remember why you are here, and broaden your horizons. I’d be lying if I said I went with the better choice. I did eventually get out of my own way and that was when the true growth happened.

Unfortunately with any group, conflicts arose. There were disagreements among group members and bridges were burned. If there is one thing I have learned is that it is perfectly ok to rid yourself of toxic people. Not all personalities mesh well with one another. It is not necessarily a fault among either party; it just means that a friendship cannot work. What is a problem is when someone does not respect the mutual give and take balance of a friendship. If one party is giving—whether it be supplies from a first aid kit in a peer’s time of need, spotting a few extra rupees here and there, or simply lending a shoulder to cry on and kind words—it is perfectly acceptable for the other party to accept this. The problem arises when the latter party only takes. This is manipulation and unfortunately it happens. What the first party then learns is that there are indeed limitations and it is important to stop before reaching them in order to prevent being burnt out and with nothing left of their own.

It is also important to remember that not everyone will agree with you. In fact, there will be people out there that will label you wrong no matter what you do or how you try to change your behaviors. Do NOT let these people affect your self-worth. These people simply do not mesh with your personality. That is ok. It’s better to just accept the fact that you will never please them and get on with your life. When you are bitter towards another person, the only one you are harming is you. It’s already been made apparent that this person does not value your opinion—you not liking them will not affect them in anyway. Rather it makes you mopey and avoidant and completely takes away from your own experiences. 

In that regard, do not shut yourself off. No matter the person, the personality type, the culture, we are all human beings with thoughts, feelings, dreams, aspirations, and purposes. Just because someone doesn’t mesh well with you it doesn’t mean they are any less of a human being—they have just as much right to be on this earth as you do and you need to respect their existence.

The rest of the things I learned vary between life lessons and new experiences. They would be easier to understand in a bulleted list.

·         Women of all cultures are one of the world’s strongest creatures.

·         Life is so much more enjoyable when you let go of material things.

o   In agreement with this—yes, it is indeed possible to survive without a cellphone.

·         While I already knew I wanted to take the therapy route, I would more specifically like to be an art therapist.

·         Nature saves lives in numerous ways.

o   For me nature was my holistic health. I found the spirituality I’ve long been searching for. Nutritionally it supplies everything I need. Emotionally it never fails to calm me and guide me to a new perspective.

·         True happiness does exist and it is nothing to be afraid of.

·         Children and animals never fail to bring a smile to my face and warm my heart.

·         It is important to learn things as if you are a child: with an open and completely unbiased mind.

o   Learn as if everything is new. Don’t compare. The first time you saw a rose it was beautiful. Now whenever you see a rose you compare it to the last one you saw. Don’t do this. Rather, see each rose for what it is—beautiful.

·         Pictures are wonderful visual reminders, but nothing compares to truly being present in the moment.

·         It is possible to visit a place once and feel more at home than you have your entire life.

·         Going through the motions of daily life and truly being alive are completely different things.

·         Do not criticize who you were yesterday or a week ago or in the past. The truth is that person no longer exists.

·         Never give up.

o   In Hindi it is said “kabhi asha mat chodiya” which translates to “never lose hope”. This had been my mantra throughout this trip.

·         Goodbyes do not exist.

As I am concluding my trip and reflecting on every aspect, I am astounded by the amount of self growth and knowledge I have acquired. I am very sad to be departing this beautiful country. The title of this post is Hindi for “Happiness happened after meeting you India. Until we meet again.” I already know this will not be my last visit. I’ve even been looking into ways I can make this a permanent home for myself (after finishing my degree of course). So India, I would like to thank you for everything. I promise to return one day and until then, I will cherish our experiences.

  I can remember when I started this blog I was simply picking a title that would catch the reader’s attention. I can honestly say that my life did begin in India.

No comments:

Post a Comment