Saturday, June 13, 2015

The Importance of Adaptability



I honestly feel like a fraud as I’m writing this as I have yet to depart the United States, but already I have learned some very important lessons about adaptability. I have had thirty minutes of sleep in 24 hours. My ride to the airport last night changed at least three times moments before I needed to be on the road. Airport food prices are seriously inflated. And as I’m sitting in JFK after arriving at least 20 minutes earlier than I should have making my eight hour layover even longer, I found myself laughing at the sudden anxiety that was setting in. I thought to myself “holy s***! I am hours away from stepping onto a flight that will take me literally half way across the world. On. My. Own.” I took a deep breath, grabbed my adult coloring book and colored pencils, put in my head phones and turned on Orange is the New Black season three, and gave myself a reality check. Yes, this is scary, but you know what is even scarier?—Giving up this once in a lifetime opportunity due to a few hours of discomfort. Life begins the moment you step foot outside of your comfort zone. I have earned this opportunity. I have fought down my demons and refused to take no for an answer from anyone. Now I’m having the same standards with myself. And once I gave myself that little kick in the pants, I put a half smile on my face (a symbol of contentment), packed up my entertainment, and explored the airport. I became mindful of my surroundings. Smiling at the man unabashedly singing to what appears to be his favorite song as he maneuvered the crowd. Admiring a little boy pushing his even smaller brother in his stroller and smiling at his mommy hoping to make her proud. Trying to hold back my chuckles at an older sister begging her not very much younger brother to put down his book for “just two minutes, I promise!” to bounce a ball with her and it quickly  rolled under my feet. Adaptability means going with the flow. Appreciating what is in the present moment and taking a few deep breaths as needed. It is realizing that whatever the problem may be, it isn’t all about you, but you also aren’t facing it alone. When faced with these moments: give yourself a moment to state your frustrations, caress your hand if needed, remind yourself that it will be OK and that the regret of missing out on the “what ifs” in life is far worse than just about anything else you will face.

No comments:

Post a Comment